Usually when I spin beaded yarn, I add the beads just prior to plying by threading them all at one time on to one ply and distributing the beads as I ply. There’s nothing wrong with that particular method, it works well although dealing with a large heavy cluster of beads during plying can be a pain.
This time around I’m adding the beads to the single as I’m spinning. Since the beads hang a little on the orifice and the flyer hooks and I want them fairly close together in the finished yarn I’m adding little clusters of 6 beads every now and again and the plan is to redistribute them as single beads during plying. If I had to stop every 4-6″ of spinning to thread a single seed bead onto the single it would drive me insane.
I started by spinning about 3 yards of a plain single, broke the single from the cloud and threaded on a dental floss threader and used it as a needle for the seed beads, removed the threader, joined the cloud back to the single, and spun some more. I found that skipping the extraneous steps of threading on the threader and then removing it by just leaving it in place in front of the orifice makes the whole process just a little more graceful.
This is a labor and focus intensive yarn to make, I’m hoping the finished yarn will be worth the time and effort.